Saturday 31 January 2009

Red and Yellow and Pink and Green...





Last week I was working away when a little person appeared in the doorway to announce that she was 'bored' and 'did I have anything which she could do?' . I had been thinking for ages about sorting out the contents of my ever growing button box into colours, to make it easier to find the ones I needed. I said that if she wanted to, she could start sorting the buttons onto colours for me. I had half expected her to say no, but to my surprise she said yes and got on with the task.



Every now and then, another little pair of hands would come to 'help' and occasionally another even smaller pair of hands would creep into the study and mix all the colours together... oops!




Lady bug really took the task to heart and every day this week, she would do a little sorting before she went to school... and a little sorting before she went to bed... and yesterday produced this-



Voila!! A whole windowsill of lovely colours each in their own little pot!


She was so proud of what she had done, and I was so proud of her for sticking to the task so diligently. I found it fascinating listening to her reasoning for why certain colours went into which pot. That "some buttons looked white at first, but when you look closely they are really pink or blue or yellow". She may have not sorted them the way that I would have done, but I'm going to leave them just the way they are.

6 comments:

  1. A fabulous button stash and an even more fabulous helper!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two used to love playing with buttons when they were smaller - kept them quiet for ages! Well done to your tiddler for sorting them so well. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW-What a wonderful collection of buttons. And your little darlings to sort them for you, that's nice!

    Just a note to let you know I got my fat quarter package. I love it! The little bag is too cute. I'm mailing yours off today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea, and well done for the fab sorting. It's always interesting to see what's going on in their little minds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. arent buttons fun?? my hubby was in my sewing room last nite as i was taking pix of my buttons and he asked why i needed so many buttons. really, is that a question????

    ReplyDelete
  6. arent buttons fun?? my hubby was in my sewing room last nite as i was taking pix of my buttons and he asked why i needed so many buttons. really, is that a question????

    ReplyDelete